Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Overview

When man went to the moon in 1968 something happened that shifted our thinking beyond what anyone thought possible.  We got a glimpse of ourselves in a way that forever transformed us.  We saw images of the earth, the beauty, the mystery revealed in a way that changed the way we saw everything.

This was the powerful opening video to a conference I'm here in Seattle attending and speaking at #Inspireconf2015.  A conference designed to pull together church leaders, lay leaders, and business leaders to rise to a new place, to rise to both be inspired and to inspire others around us.  While the concept is inspirational in itself, I was surprised how much this 19 minute clip Pastor Steve Jamison shared with the nearly 400 people gathered here impacted me.  It both challenged me and reminded me of how important it is that we gaze on the right things.

I know as a strong, admittedly ambitious, driven leader I am always shooting for the moon on things.  I like to do the impossible, to push the boundaries, to seek new heights.  Yet, perhaps my gaze is on the wrong things.  It is not with the eye to these things that I need to be looking, but to the one who made those things.  My eyes should be more focused on the Creator, vs. the created.  What a powerful thought.  To shift my gaze, to get the bigger overview of the world.  To see the things I am trying to build and achieve in context of God's bigger plan and design.

What I realize is that if we were never shooting for the moon, and hadn't pushed towards it to actually go to space we never would have caught that glimpse of earth that so dramatically changed us.  I need to keep shooting for the moon, building towards those things, but in the moment I also need to shift my eyes to seeing the overview of the bigger picture.

What are you gazing at?  How would this shift affect your efforts?

No comments: